The selection of a single molecular handedness among the two possible configurations of a given molecule, or homochirality, is observed across all living matter and is a mystery in the origin of life. Here, we show that large chemical systems, are likely to undergo a spontaneous symmetry breaking toward a homochiral state as the number of chiral species increases . Through an analysis of a large chemical database, we find that there is no need of very large molecules for chiral species to dominate over achiral ones; it already happens when molecules contain about 10 heavy atoms.Refs: G. Laurent, D. Lacoste, and P. Gaspard, PNAS (2021) 118 (3) e2012741118; https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.2012741118
Contributed Talk Session - CT03
Tuesday, June 15 at 06:45am (PDT)Tuesday, June 15 at 02:45pm (BST)Tuesday, June 15 10:45pm (KST)
Contributed Talk Session - CT03
CT03-CBBS: CBBS Subgroup Contributed Talks
- David Lacoste Laboratory Gulliver, ESPCI, Paris "Emergence of homochirality in large molecular systems"
- Martijn de Jong Leiden University "Cellular Potts model of convergent extension can explain shape variability of gastruloids"
- Robert Planque Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam "Stability of a reaction pathway adaptively controlled to maximise flux"
- Bime Markdonal Ghakanyuy University of Buea, Cameroon "Investigating the Impact of Multiple Feeding Attempts on Mosquito Dynamics via Mathematical Models"
CT03-CDEV: CDEV Subgroup Contributed Talks
- Bahti Zakirov Francis Crick Institute "Active Perception during Angiogenesis: Filopodia speed up Notch selection of Tip Cells in silico and in vivo"
- Eva Deinum Wageningen University "Zebrastripes for life!"
- Franziska Krämer Buchmann Institute for Molecular Life Sciences "Investigating Mechanical Force Dynamics of Extra-Embryonic Membranes in Tribolium castaneum (part 1)"
- Zoë Lange Frankfurt Institute for Advanced Studies "Investigating Mechanical Force Dynamics of Extra-Embryonic Membranes in Tribolium castaneum (part 2)"
CT03-ECOP: ECOP Subgroup Contributed Talks
- Eduardo Muñoz-Hernández Complutense University of Madrid "Minimal complexity of subharmonics in two classes of periodic Volterra predator-prey models"
- Thomas Woolley Cardiff University "Locating bat roosts through the coupling of motion modelling and microphone data"
- Christopher Kribs University of Texas at Arlington "Competition between obligate & facultative scavengers & infection: vulture-jackal-anthrax dynamics in Etosha National Park"
- Lukas Eigentler University of Dundee "Spatial dynamics underpin competitive interactions within bacterial biofilms"
CT03-EVOP: EVOP Subgroup Contributed Talks
- Glenn Young Kennesaw State University " The interplay between costly reproduction and unpredictable environments shape the evolution of cooperative breeding"
- Linh Huynh Case Western Reserve University "Identifying Birth and Death Rates Separately to Disambiguate Mechanisms for the Same Observed Population Dynamics"
- Enrico Sandro Colizzi Leiden University, Origins Center "Evolution of genome architecture to divide labor through mutations"
- Anudeep Surendran University of Montreal, Canada "Population dynamics with spatial structure and an Allee effect"
CT03-IMMU: IMMU Subgroup Contributed Talks
- Girma Mesfin Zelleke AIMS-Cameroon "A Mathematical Understanding of the Dynamic Regulation of the Complement System on bacterial infection."
- Solveig A. van der Vegt Wolfson Centre for Mathematical Biology, Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford, UK "Mathematical modelling of autoimmune myocarditis and the effects of immune checkpoint inhibitors"
- Martin Lopez-Garcia Department of Applied Mathematics, University of Leeds "A stochastic multi-scale model of Francisella tularensis infection"
- Mohammad Aminul Islam University at Buffalo, The State University of New York "Modeling the Progression of Fibrosis with Dysregulation of ACE2 in COVID19 Patients"
CT03-MEPI: MEPI Subgroup Contributed Talks
- Harry Saxton Heriot-Watt "Considering the effect reinfected asymptomatic individuals have on malaria transmission"
- Nico Stollenwerk BCAM, Basque Center of Applied Mathematics, Bilbao, Spain "The interplay between subcritical fluctuations and import: understanding COVID-19 epidemiological dynamics"
- Alun Lloyd North Carolina State University "Honeymoons, Divorces, Flu and Dengue: The Underappreciated Importance of Susceptible Dynamics on Control of Endemics"
- Leonardo Souto Ferreira Universidade Estadual Paulista "Assessing optimal vaccination scenarios in two-dose regimen with delay differential equations"
CT03-MFBM: MFBM Subgroup Contributed Talks
- Gregory Szep King's College London "Parameter Inference with Bifurcation Diagrams"
- Sta Léa University of Leeds, United Kingdom " IL-7R mathematical modelling: algebraic expressions for amplitude and EC50"
- Johannes Borgqvist Wolfson Centre for Mathematical Biology, Mathematical Institute, University of Oxford "Symmetry methods for model-construction and analysis in the context of collective cell migration"
- Remus Stana University of Leeds "Diffusion in a domain with inclusion"
CT03-MMPB: MMPB Subgroup Contributed Talks
- Juliana Curty Faria CFisUC, University of Coimbra "Fibrinogen-Mediated Erythrocyte Adhesion"
- Tânia Sousa Department of Life Sciences University of Coimbra, Coimbra, Portugal "How far can hydrogen peroxide travel in microcirculation?"
- Gustavo Taiji Naozuka Laboratório Nacional de Computação Científica "Discovery of a dynamical system from simulated tumor growth data of a hybrid multiscale model"
- Rui Travasso CFisUC, University of Coimbra "Adhesion modulates cell morphology and migration within dense fibrous networks"
CT03-ONCO: ONCO Subgroup Contributed Talks
- Rafael Bravo Moffitt Cancer Center "Investigating the impact of tissue density on tumor growth and evolution in a 3D whole-organ model of lung cancer"
- Stefano Pasetto H. Lee Moffitt Cancer Center & Research Institute "Intermittent hormone therapy models analysis and Bayesian-model-comparison for prostate cancer"
- Kevin Murgas Stony Brook University Dept. of Biomedical Informatics " Hierarchical Modeling of DNA Methylation Conservation in Colon Cancer"
- Kathleen Wilkie Ryerson University "Chemotherapy Induced Cachexia: Insights from a Mathematical Model"